Saturday, April 13, 2013


The Sexualization of Early Childhood


           This book I will buy. It is a guide for parents who are fed up, confused, and even scared by what their kids–or their kids’ friends–do and say, states ( Levin &  Kilbourne, 2009). It is crazy the messages that our children are hearing and therefore is watching on T.V.  If we as parents don’t pay attention to what our children is watching on television and what they are seeing on the internet, we are in real trouble as parents and educators.

            I have a ten year old who is fifth grade know, two years ago I used to overhear her and her friend conversation about their supposedly boyfriends. I told them that we do not think about boys as boyfriends at this age, all you all need to think about is getting very good grades in school. Know it is the letter I see in her back pack, and the phone calls from boys, and she is giggling on the phone with her friends about what did he say about me today. But it’s always grandma I don’t like that boy, I have told him I can’t have a boyfriend, she didn’t say I do not want a boyfriend.

             These children watches these sitcom likes Jessie, kickin’ It, Phineas an Ferb, and I would not even think about letting them watch Family Guy or American Dad, because there is some sexual activity on one of the shows, or maybe both of them. When I saw that I blocked those channel so that the children cannot turn to those channels.

            I think that as a professional and as a parents or grandparent we have to be there for our children to support them. And, also help them to understand and to clear up some of the confusion about these issues of physical differences between the boys and girls. What will happen when they become sexually active?  But that they are going to have to grow older to understand the consequences of their action, and old enough to take responsibility of their action.
References
Levin, D. E., & Kilbourne, J. (2009). [Introduction]. So sexy so soon: The new sexualized childhood and what parents can do to protect their kids (pp. 1-8). New York: Ballantine Books. Retrieved from: http://dianeelevin.com/sosexysosoon/introduction.pdf

 

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Gloria,
    I enjoyed reading your story. It is amazing that children will say words that you do not expect them to know. I have heard children talking about boyfriends and girlfriends when they were only 5 years old. After this week's learning, I am wondering, maybe they do not quite know the adult meaning of those words. They use those big and "fancy" words to draw people's attention or to pretend that they are mature. I hope they just want to show off. I do not think it is a good idea to talk about sexualization with children in such an early age, and we have the responsibility to work closely with families to protect children. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gloria,
    I always enjoy reading your posts and blogs. Your stories are so true, and yet, do you think that the majority of parents are even aware or if they are, do you think they understand the consequences. What about a parent who sees their little girl playing on the playground with a little boy and states, "Look at them. Isn't it cute. Christi says he's her boyfriend, and they will get married." Why can't a three year old have a friend of the other sex?
    I think you are doing exactly what's right with your daughter. My son is 25, and he never had a TV in his bedroom until middle school. It wasn't that I could not afford one, but rather, there was not much appropriate for him. He was too old for kid's shows and too young for adult ones.
    Yes, the media is very much to blame, but parents need to step up and be a parent.
    Thanks again, Gloria, for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gloria,

    It sounds like you are really observant. You have noticed that she said she cannot have a boyfriend, and not "I do not want one".

    Children begin to "like" others at different ages. I was quite young when i started to develop crushes, but they were very innocent, and not a result of sexualization. I did not begin dating until I was 16.

    You have taken some positive steps, such as blocking TV channels, but this unfortunately does not stop her from other sources. I think preparations through reading this book are a wonderful step, and perhaps all families need to order a copy!

    This society works so hard to make our little children grow up. We shove more education at them, more requirements, and sexualization. It is so strange that the scoiety has made a 360 degree spin. Many years ago, children were thought of as simply small adults, and there were high expectations and beliefs about their capabilities, what they could handle emotionally, physically, mentally. We did a 180 when we realized the differences developmentally, and yet we moe towards a 360 now becuase despite knowing this, we still alter their lives negatively.

    ReplyDelete