Saturday, May 18, 2013

Exploring Roles in the ECE Community: Local and State Levels

For this blog assignment I am to search for local or state organization that I would like to work with and the role I would like to take on, now or in the future.
The first one would be the Indianola Public School District which is our local school district that I attended from K- 12 grade. The mission of the Indianola School District is to focus the energies of our schools, community, and parents on successfully educating all students so that they will become productive citizens in a global society. I am very proud of this school district and the many things that they have accomplish over the years. For example we have all types of sports, starting at the 5th grade level. Years ago if you wanted to participate any type of sports, you had to wait until the 8th grade level before you was allowed to participate in sports.
The job opportunities in this district is very few, but for the Elementary Teachers K- 3rd grade I would love to be the teachers of those young mind just bursting to learn knew knowledge. The skills I would need to fulfill a teaching position will be to have taken the National Teacher Examination and receive a passing score as set by the State of Mississippi.

The second is the Mississippi State Department of Education. This is the state where I live, my state organization where I would help provide leadership through the development of policy and accountability systems so that all students are prepared to compete in the global community.  As a state board appointee I would help mobilize resources and supports to help ensure that all students exit the third grade reading on grade level or higher, to reduce the dropout rate to 13% or lower by 2015, and to have 60% of students scoring proficient and advanced on the assessments of the Common Core State Standards by 2016 with incremental increases of 3% each year thereafter, because our children are failing on our state test. We sets public education policy and  would be responsible for implementing state and federal education laws, disbursing state and federal funds, holding schools and districts accountable for performance and licensing all educators.  I will like to work with the State Department of Education here in my state, because we are one of the few states that do not have federally funded Head start. They preach about education but do they realize that learning starts in the early years. And we are about to lose some of our Head start Programs in my area.

The next one is the Greenwood School District the Greenwood Public School District is committed to the district’s Mission of Creating Student Success by Placing Academics First. This school district is much like the Indianola School District, and I am in these classrooms all the time with the kindergarten class and they are a model of the Indianola School District. I will need the same criteria for both school districts to gain employment with them.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gloria
    I enjoyed reading your blog, on where you would love to work.I think that many cities or states have very few jobs, but we must stay positive, because it's all about the children.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete