Saturday, September 29, 2012

Practicing Awareness of Microaggressions


Practicing Awareness of Microaggressions

When I wrote my reflective journal for this week, I spoke about my experience when I work in retail many years ago. As an employee I can remember when I worked for this chain of retail stores, and we were having a meeting on the cleanliness of some of the facilities. The Director of food made a statement to one of the supervisor that some of the stores floors looked like the back of his hand (meaning BLACK). There were seven supervisors one Caucasian supervisor, and six black supervisors, we all got up and left the room including the white supervisor. We all perceived that as a microassult. So as we walk out, the owner was arriving he saw the look on everyone’s face and wanted to know what had happen. So as we explained to him what was said he got very upset and had him to apologize and place him on probation for that statement that he had sad. And that were a racial experience for me and my coworker. We all have moved on to other jobs and careers since then.

Just recently, as today we all were at the repast and one long lost cousin, as we would say. She approached one of my nieces, and stated girl your daddy must have been a white man? What color are your eyes? I could not believe that she stated that to my niece in that tone of voice, and in front ten or more people. She insulted her to the fact that she was in tears.  It never amaze me what some people will say or do, as for my cousin she has never come around that much to even notice that there are several different types of eye color in our family genes.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Gloria,
    I really enjoyed your post this week, especially in regards to the experiences you have also had with microaggressions. It has also amazed be the comments people sometimes say, especially when it comes to race, nationality, or even the color of your eyes. And as you know I have also had negative experiences with others, based on what I look like and the color of my eyes. It's as if they never even realized, or considered for one moment that all people come in different sizes, shapes, and colors, even when they belong to the same race. And for me, in my experience with the co-worker from work, I found it very upsetting that she never once considered that I was Hispanic, solely based on the color of my skin and the color of my eyes. But one thing I do know for certain, and that is also extremely important to me, is that I know who I am, and I know where I came from, and I take pride in that and I celebrate my uniqueness! Great Job Gloria.

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sylvia
    It always amazes me how some people can be so insensitive, to others even children. As early childhood educators we must keep informing people how some words can hurt a child for life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gloria,
    Great post! I have learned that microaggression occur every day. I also had a family incident this weekend when my cousin disliked his brother choice of mate. My cousin brought home his Caucasian girlfriend. I told him that I did not like what he was implying and that he needs to stop with the racism.

    ReplyDelete