Sunday, September 23, 2012


Perspectives on Diversity and Culture

The difference between Methodist and Baptist Churches

In relation with diversity and culture, I spoke with a good friend of mine, who is a United Methodist pastors, she told me in our conversation that they are appointed to a local congregation. They are appointed by a district superintendent, cabinet, and a Bishop. The Bishop oversees a geographical area called a Conference, which is a region. Under the Bishop is a team of district superintendents.  

Know I am a Baptist and the Southern Baptist Churches put together search committees to review pastors. They look at the accomplishments made by both the church and pastor. The committee than determines the needs of the church and matches that with the skills of the pastor. Our goal is to find a pastor who will be able to effectively serve the needs of the church for several years.


Which aspects of culture and diversity that I have studied in this course are included in the answers I received, and what are some examples?  I think that Culture and Diversity, and Learning about culture are included in the answer that I received. Because I did not know that the Methodist pastors was appointed by a committee, and that they are only in a church for four years in some instances.


Which aspects have been omitted—and what are some examples of such omission? Some of the aspects that have been omitted are Family culture.


In what ways has thinking about other people’s definitions of culture and diversity influenced my own thinking about these topics?  I have attended the Methodist Church on several occasions, and their reading of passage after the pastor is different from the Baptist congregation that I am a part of. They Methodist congregation only say Amen when it is at the end of a reading passage. Not like in the Baptist Church, if the Holy Spirit comes over you, and you want to jump and shout, we do, or say Amen when we feel the need to during the preaching of the pastor.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment