Saturday, October 13, 2012

The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression


The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression

This incident happen on Friday October 12, 2012, yesterday, and for the last two months or more I just was getting strange vibes from some of my co-worker. It all came to a head yesterday.  I had notice that when I would walk into this certain room at our office, there would be several people who would ignore me as I walk in. God forbid that I asked a question for instance, Sarah do you know where certain things are? She would never answer as though she did not hear me I was being ignored, as I do understand know, and eventually I had to ask her again or ask someone else. I just could not put my finger on it, but to think that my coworkers are acting biased against me but I wasn’t sure. So yesterday there was a disagreement between myself and one other coworker, I did not think anything of it until our supervisor text, and said that she needed to have a meeting with the two of us. And when we met with her someone had called her and change everything to the fact that I had started the whole situation, and made it look like I was the bad person and that I started the whole thing. I was in shock, I explain to her what I said to fact, and that I disagreed with what she had been told, and that I did not like the insinuation that she had been told by whomever that took it upon them to give her false statement, and I left it at that. My supervisor reprimanded us both and said not to let it happens again. I can’t let this go, because I was falsely accused and I am taking it higher than my supervisor, as she recommended me to do, if I felt that her decision was not justified. So I did. And another thing is that I am older than most of the coworker in our office.

We all should know by now that certain federal acts prevent discrimination based on characteristics such as gender, age (if you are 40 or older), ethnicity, religion, or race. Bias means that someone is unfairly partial to one side or in has favoritism to one side.

 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gloria,
    Your incident was probably more of a jealous issue than racist. Your coworkers are probably jealous of you because you come to work and do your job and they are not doing what they suppose to do. Coworkers are offensive when you come in and get the job done because the supervisor and parents will admire what you do. Keep up the good work and don't let them get in your way.

    ReplyDelete