Saturday, January 7, 2012

My Personal Birthing Experience

On September 19, 2011 at 11:30 p.m.I received a call from my niece stating that she was in labor and that her water had broke. I arrive at the hospital just a short time behind them around 12 a.m,.they had already taken her up to labor and delivery. Her husband and I took the elevator on to the third floor where they were preparing her for the birth of her son Landon. Eight and a half hour later she were ready to deliver, but Landon would not move down anymore. She push and she push, but he would not move, it was as though he were stuck in that spot. Dr. Sander enter the room and said Pallis let's deliver a healthy boy. They tried pushing a couple more times, Landon still would not move. The OBGyn stated that we are going to have to do a cesaran section, Pallis ask, "are you goning to tie my tubes today also", she stated as long as your paperwork is in order I'm going to do everything while I'm in there. That work out perfect, Landon was 8 pounds and healthy, and mother were out of observation within two hours so that she could start breastfeeding her son. My most memorable moments are that when his daddy came out of the other delivery room with him and handed him to the nurse, she immediatly started to check his Apgar score. He was kicking, crying and moving his hands as though he was hitting at you and had three finger in his mouth trying to suck on them. Landon is my great nephew and to say my grandson because I raised his mother Pallis, along with my three biological children. And I was the only one that she called to be at the hospital with her other than her husband.
By breastfeeding her son she has the advantage of less doctors visit because her breast milk has antibodies, it is easily digestible, and better for the baby's health.

This is Landon James White son of Pallis Wilson-White born September 20, 2011 at 8:35 a.m. His first few minutes of life.

This is and article that caught my attention while I were on the internet. Helping mothers to survive childbirth in Africa. Dr Robert Walley,  Executive Director MaterCare International works in parts of East Africa. He states that "most mothers deliver on their own, most of them die on their owns". But they die of postpartum hemorrhage after the baby is born because of no professionally trained people are there to give them medical treatment. The difference is that with my neice's delivery there was two labor and delivery well trained nurse, there was two nursery room nurses, and other than the OBGyn that is on call, there is always several doctors down in the emergency department. At this hospital the the third floor is labor and delivery, every RN and LPN on that floor is trained in that field and they have continue training to stay updated with the latest medical procedures.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gloria,

    I was holding my breath when I was reading the first part of your post. So glad that everything went well and both mother and baby were fine.

    On the other hand It's sad to see that not enough medical services are provided for mothers and babies in some parts of Africa and innocent lives are lost due to lack of well-trained professionals.

    Karie

    ReplyDelete